I officially adore beetroots. Not the vacuumed packed or pickled version, but the fresh, crunchy, crimson juice dripping, nutrient bursting kind. So this is my go-to-energy-fix drink. With fresh beetroot, carrots, kale and ginger we’re seriously upping our nutrient levels (read more below) and adding an apple as natural sweetner. Feeling like you need a lift? Definitely try this one.
Beetroots have long been used for medicinal purposes, primarily for disorders of the liver as they help to stimulate the liver’s detoxification processes. The plant pigment that gives beetroot its rich, purple-crimson colour is betacyanin; a powerful agent, thought to suppress the development of some types of cancer. Beetroot fibre has been shown to increase the level of antioxidant enzymes in the body, (specifically one called glutathione peroxidase), as well as increase the number of white blood cells, which are responsible for detecting and eliminating abnormal cells. Beets are also one of the richest sources of glutamine, an amino acid, essential to the health and maintenance of the intestinal tract.
- 3 kale leaves or handful of spinach
- 1 medium apple, cut into wedges
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 large beet, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 cm piece of peeled fresh ginger
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Just peel and cut away. Blend in any order. I like to mix it up as it goes into the juicer.
- Drink fresh juice immediately (or as soon as possible) to ensure you get the full benefit of the nutrients.