A tasty salad that combines fresh citrus flavours, sweet figs, spicy garlic, crunchy almonds and wholesome broccoli. A dish created for an intense calcium and vitamin C boost. Broccoli, figs, oranges and almonds are all great sources of the all important mineral calcium. Not only is it vital for strong bones and teeth but also maintains healthy blood vessels and regulate blood pressure.
As an added bonus, believe it or not, broccoli actually contains nearly twice the vitamin C of an orange too. To steam my vegetables, I use this nifty steamer basket. Place it in a saucepan with water and lid (if you don’t have one, check it out in my kitchen utensils here).
Then mix all the ingredients together, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve either warm or chilled. Great little starter, side dish or healthy lunch. Enjoy!
- 1 large head broccoli, rinsed and chopped
- 5 dried figs, chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons orange juice (1 orange)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (0.5 lemon)
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne peppar (optional)
- Rinse and chop broccoli. Steam for 4-5 mins just until tender but still bright green
- Place broccoli florets in a large bowl with chopped figs and almonds.
- Whisk together the sesame seed oil, orange and lemon juice and garlic (I use a clean jar and shake).
- Drizzle over broccoli and lightly toss. Serve into small bowls and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature or chilled.