This soup combines wonderful citrus flavours and mild spices, nutritious vegetables with creamy coconut undertones. Been dreaming away about the spice islands of the Caribbean again…
Black beans are a great source of non meat protein and they add a lovely flavour and texture to this dish. I also use tomatoes, onions, garlic and yellow zucchini (courgettes) but green are fine too – all of which are alkaline positive vegetables.
I make an extra large batch to make sure I have some for a few days as it’s so good. It’s really easy to make and all in one pan (less washing up). Simply soften the chopped onions and zucchini in a bit of olive oil, add in the garlic and spices (..wonderful aromas are now floating around the kitchen), add all the remaining vegetables and broth and simmer together… Only towards the end do you stir in the coconut milk. Top off with some fresh coriander (cilantro) or even dried if not in season. Then add the lemon or lime wedges and make sure to squeeze it into the soup and mix… delicious. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onion (1 large onion)
- 4 small zucchini (courgettes) or 2 large green zucchini (sliced)
- 6-8 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 can organic tomato pulp (400gm)
- 2 cans organic black beans, rinsed and drained (400gm x 2)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2-3 tsp cayenne peppar or chilli flakes (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger (or powder if no fresh at home)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet red pepper
- ⅛ tsp himalayan salt
- Garnish with ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (or dried if not in season)
- 2 limes or lemons, quartered
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and add olive oil
- Add the red onion, zucchini slices and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add spices and garlic and fry for 1 minute
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth and cook on low heat for 30 mins until all the flavours are fused and zucchini are soft
- Stir in coconut milk. Serve in soup bowls and sprinkle with coriander (cilantro) and lemon or lime wedges.