This is a great lunch time recipe brimming with protein. It’s filling and fresh as it combines chickpeas, tahini with sweet carrots and raisins. It takes less than 3 mins to make – whether eating at home or bringing a sandwich to work. Just add your favourite salad, rocket, spinach as a base, then add the spread and top it off with some tomatoes or cucumber and freshly ground pepper. It stores up to 4 days in an air tight container in the fridge.
Peel and grate the carrots. First mash up the chickpeas with tahini and water then add carrots, raisins and hemp seeds. If you like a sweeter touch, add raisins like I did. If you wish to fire it up, add some chili flakes too. Mix well…
Use spelt bread (as most alkaline) and add spinach, rocket or salad as a base…
Add chopped cherry tomatoes and finish off with a sprinkle of himalayan salt and black peppar. Enjoy!
- 2 x 400grms (14 oz) cans organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3 tbs warm water
- 2 tbs tahini
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 tbs raisins (optional)
- 1 tbs hemp seeds
- Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste
- Spelt bread
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas, water, tahini, sesame oil, salt, garlic powder and black pepper; mash with a fork.
- Add grated carrots, raisins and hemp sees - mix well
- To serve, spread on spelt bread with your favourite toppings - here I used spinach and cherry tomatoes
- Storage Instructions: refrigerate spread in a glass container for up to a 4 days