Here’s a delicious and healthy dessert that’s perfect for summer bbq’s. Peaches are in season in Italy and are really juicy and sweet. I’ve been wanting to use silken tofu for a while now so this is the perfect occasion to try it out. The difference between silken tofu and “regular” firm tofu is simply the amount of water that is removed. Silken tofu has a custard like consistency and works well in creamy and blended foods like smoothies, desserts, puddings, salad dressings, sauces and dips.
Tofu is a great source of calcium, protein and iron. You can read more (here) about the health benefits. It is of course alkaline as well.
I’ve used a coconut soy yogurt but you can make your own by using a plain soy yogurt mixed in with grated coconut. Then sweeten the mixture with maple syrup. I’ve added a small amount of cinnamon as I love the combination of grilled peaches with a hint of this spice.
You can either use a grill pan in the kitchen or a clean bbq outside. Halve the peaches carefully and remove the stone…yes it can get a little messy…
Cook on medium heat a few minutes until it softens and gets the grill line marks..
I admit I probably went a little bit overboard with the smothering the peaches in cream…it’d actually be nice to see some of the grilled peach too! Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped almonds or walnuts and a mint leaf…
Alternatively you can add berries… I didnt have any raspberries or blackberries which also work well so I went with our blueberries and small wild strawberries from the garden… enjoy!
- 1 cup silkened tofu
- 1 cup of coconut flavoured soy yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 4 peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp almonds (or walnuts) chopped
- 1 handful berries (optional) - blackberries, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries - to garnish
- 1 tbsp maple syrup to garnish (optional)
- 8 mint leaves to garnish
- Heat grill to medium
- Combine tofu, coconut yogurt, maple syrup and cinnamon in a bowl. Blend with electric mixer to whip it all together.
- Cover and place in fridge for half hour when preparing the peaches.
- Grease the grill grates and grill the peaches cut side down for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Top each peach with a a couple of spoonfuls of the tofu coconut cream.
- Drizzle a small amount of maple syrup on top. Garnish with berries, nuts and mint.