This Mediterranean burger combines some wonderful flavours of Italy. Sun dried cherry tomatoes from Sicily, aromatic basil leaves from the garden together with chickpeas and tofu to make a great protein base. They’re delicious, full of alkaline ingredients, fast to make and a hit with carnivores and children alike.
First saute the onion in a pan as I like to have them cooked properly in a burger. Chop up the basil and cherry tomatoes and put all the ingredients into a blender.
Wet your hands with a little water as it’s easier to work with the mixture. Make your patties and coat lightly with some spelt flour.
You can either grill them in the oven or in the pan with a little olive or coconut oil . Serve with either a spinach side salad, wrapped up in lettuce leaves or in a spelt burger. Enjoy!
- 1 can organic chickpeas (400gm tin)
- 200 gm block of tofu
- 1 cup of basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup of sun dried tomatoes (100gm)
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- ¼ tsp cumin, cayenne
- himalayan salt to taste
- 2 tbsp spelt flour to coat
- 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil to fry
- Fry the onion in the pan for 2 mins until soft
- Chop the sun dried tomatoes and basil
- Add all the ingredients into a blender for 30 seconds
- Wet hands and make patties
- Coat lightly with spelt flour on both sides
- Fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side