A fresh and fragrant summer meal that’s great to make when it’s hot outside and you’re wanting something lighter to eat. The sweet melon contrasts nicely with the cooked zucchini and avocado combined with mint and basil herbs. If needing to avoid gluten, you can substitute the spelt grains for brown rice or quinoa.
One of my new toys.. I mean tools.. in the kitchen is this ribbon slicer. I had to try it out. Makes lovely thin slices of all vegetables and fruits plus it has different blades for different effects.
Then fry gently with some olive oil and I used a teaspoon of mixed herbs for salads…
Cut open the melon, discard the seeds and scoop out small ball shapes with a spoon…chop up the avocado in small cubes and cook the spelt grain as directed on packet..
Chop up the basil and mint finely and combine with olive oil and lemon juice: Let it sit for 10 mins…
Put all the ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle the herb oil and grate the lemon rind. Toss it all together gently…
Scoop back and serve using the empty melons.. Hope you enjoy it!!
- 1.5 cups spelt grain
- 1 melon
- 2 zucchini
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (other seeds or almonds)
- 2 T olive oil or sesame seed oil
- 2 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 lemon for juicing and grating rind
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Cook the spelt grains with water as instructions
- Slice and cook the zucchini gently in a pan with some olive oil for approx 10 mins. should still be crunchy.
- Cut finely the basil and mint and soak in oil with lemon juice in a small bowl
- Cut a melon in 2 and scoop out the seeds (discard) and then the flesh
- Peel and cut the avocado into small cubes
- Mix the melon, avocado, sunflower seeds, zucchini and cooked spelt in a large bowl
- Add the mixed herb oil into the ingredients and gently stir. Gently grate in the lemon rind and finish with himalayan salt and peppar to taste.
- Scoop back and serve the melons