This, my friends, was love at first bite. Wonderful Spanish flavours such as earthy cumin mixed into chilli tomato sauce, mild spinach contrasting with wholesome chickpeas. There won’t be any leftovers just so you know…
So how do we prepare this delicacy you ask?? It’s quick and simple which is great too. Plus I use the same saucepan three times and it’s a quick rinse in between each use.
Start by wilting the spinach in a hot pan together with a drizzle of olive oil. Stir until wilted then put aside. No pics here as I did a kilo of spinach last night and used a third here. Then another drizzle of oil and sauté the almonds until light golden brown. I admit I took mine off too early so they’re not looking as good in the photos as they should.
Then add in the chopped garlic and spices – cumin, chilli and blackpeppar and gently cook for 3 mins….
Add in the crushed tomatoes, vinegar then chickpeas… mix well. You can use red or white wine vinegar if you don’t have any sherry vinegar at home…
Add back the wilted spinach and give it a good stir…
Season with salt, peppar and a sprinkle of sweet paprika, add the almonds and a drizzle of oil and voilà! A delicious side, starter or main. Enjoy!
- 400 gm tin of organic chickpeas (or use dried ones soaked overnight and cooked)
- 300 grams of fresh spinach, washed
- 15 peeled natural almonds
- 1 cup crushed tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar (or red/white wine vinegar if you don't have it)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground chilli/cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Sweet paprika
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Add a tbsp of olive to hot pan and add in washed spinach. Sauté until wilted, remove and set aside for now.
- Add a dash of olive oil and add in raw almonds. Sautè a few minutes on medium heat until golden. Set aside.
- Add the chopped garlic, cumin, cayenne and black pepper and sauté for 3 mins
- Add in your tomato sauce and vinegar and stir well
- Add in the chickpeas and coat well
- Add in the spinach and stir gently until it is evenly incorporated and hot
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle a swirl of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some sweet paprika on top
- Add the almonds and serve warm. Enjoy!